Intergovernmental and Public Affairs Office
300 North Main Street
Hopewell, Virginia 23860
Phone (804) 541-2270
Fax: (804) 541-2248
City Council 2012 General Assembly Legislative Priorities
The City will produce this publication approximately 4 to 6 times a year.
May 7, 2013 - City Announces the Biggest Loser Contest Winners
May 6, 2013 - DMV Select Partners with the City of Hopewell
April 10, 2013 - CIty of Hopewell Spring Clean-Up Week
April 5, 2013 - Hopewell Twinning Association, Inc Twentieth-Year Anniversary
April 2, 2013 - Hopewell Citizen's Academy
March 5, 2013 - Tornado Survival Week in March
February 27, 2013 - Automated CItizen Information System
February 13, 2012 - Hopewell Emergency Crew Serves for 67 Years
February 4, 2013 - American Heart Month
January 30, 2013 - Physical Fitness and Nutrition
January 25, 2013 - Beacon Theatre Renovation UPDATE
January 24, 2013 - Truck Spill on Highway 10
January 14, 2013 - City of Hopewell MLK Holiday National Day of Service Project
January 11, 2013 - City Park Stream Bed Restored
October 30, 2013 - City of Hopewell Hires New Director of Finance
September 17, 2013 - DMV Select Now Open at City Hall
September 11, 2012 - Hunting & Fishing Licenses Avaliable at Select DMV Locations
July 20, 2012 - Change to Petersburg Area Transit (PAT) Bus System, Hopewell Connector Route
July 19, 2012 - Historic Hopewell Foundation - July 25 Lunch Series - General Douglas MacArthur "Listen, O Listen"
June 28, 2012 - Evening Program City Point and the Civil War
June 11, 2012 - Summer Fun Begins June 18 at ARLS Libraries
June 5, 2012 - Historic Hopewell Foundation - June 13 Lunch Series - Captain John Smith: Leader of the Jamestown Settlement
May 29, 2012 - Weston Plantation Concert
February 24, 2012 - Civil War 150 History Mobile Coming to the City of Hopewell March 1 and 2
February 17, 2012 - Appomattox Cemetery Spring Cleaning
February 2, 2012 - Seeking Freedom Where the Rivers Meet
January 11, 2012 - Trash Pick-Up Service on Schedule
December 30, 2011 - Dredging of the Hopewell City Marina
December 30, 2011 - New Year's Eve Safety in Hopewell
December 13, 2011 - Three Day Joint Training Exercise at Colonial Corner
November 17, 2011 - Virginia Executive Mansion Holiday Schedule Announced
November 3, 2011 - Police Command Walk - City Point
November 2, 2011 - Thanksgiving in the Trenches
October 31, 2011 - The Department of Public Works Relocated City’s Recycle Container at the Municipal Building to the Community Center Parking Lot Near Main Street
October 24, 2011 - Hopewell Police Department to Participate in 3rd National Prescription Drug Take Back initiative
October 21, 2011 - Get Vaccinated for Flu at any Local Health Department in the Crater Health District
September 23, 2011 - Hopewell Police Department to Participate in 3rd National Prescription Drug Take Back initiative
September 14, 2011 - Business Coalition Leadership Urges Congressman Forbes to Help with Federal Funding for Wastewater Treatment Project
September 1, 2011 - American Red Cross Providing Meals Friday 9-2 thru Monday 9-5
August 31, 2011 - Take Precautions Hiring Tree Services
August 31, 2011 - Ameican Red Cross Providing Meals Wednesday 31, 2011
August 29, 2011 - Storm Releated Notice
August 29, 2011 - American Red Cross Providing Meals
August 4, 2011 - Hopewell Treasurer Selects Sands Andersn Law Firm to Assist with Collecting Delinquent Real Estate Taxes
City of Hopewell Citizens Academy
The Hopewell Citizens Academy is a (12) week program comprised of approximately (2) hour sessions every other Thursday designed to teach residents and or property/business owners about the City and the services it provides. The program is free of charge. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. The program administrator will be the final approving authority on all Academy applications.
Get the application packet
Sesquicentennial Civil War program for the City of Hopewell
The Intergovernmental and Public Affairs Director is responsible for a wide variety of important governmental services to citizens, City Council, City administration, and the public at-large. This office is responsible for and manages the following:
- Serves as the media spokesperson for the City of Hopewell.
- Manages Information on the Automated Citizen Information System (ACIS) for the City Manager's Office to include emergency broadcasting. This system is the City's 24-hour information line as well as the City Manager's hotline.
- Manages the City's Freedom of Information Act program in concert with the City Attorney's Office.
- Performs research for the City Manager, City Council, and other City departments as required.
- Assists the City Manager's Office in maintaining the City Manager Citizen & Councilors Solution Comment System.
- Writes speeches for Mayor, Vice Mayor, and other elected officials and employees.
- Serves as the City's representative for all communication with the media and associated outlets. Writes press releases and develops press packets for media personnel.
- Serves as ambassador for all VIP's to include elected officials and foreign dignitaries.
- Writes articles in local and national publications on behalf of the City of Hopewell.
- Coordinate and edit documents for the City's Newsletter (City Currents); website and associated publications.
- Serves as the government liaison on behalf of the City to the Hopewell Twinning Association.
- Manage and develop the City's legislative agenda and overall legislative program in concert with City Council, City Attorney, City Administration, Outside Agencies, and Council Appointed Boards and Commissions.
- Serves as a member of the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) and First Responder.
- Provides staff assistance and administrative support to the Hopewell Community & Industry Panel (HCIP).
- Manages the Special Event Application Program on behalf of the City Manager's Office.
- Serves as legislative liaison for the City of Hopewell on the Virginia First Cities Coalition.
- Serves as a member on the City's Black History Committee.
- Serves as the City Manager's representative for the City's ICMA Performance Measurement Program.
- Created and hosts The Bragg Television Show weekdays on Comcast Channel 3.