Fireworks on the Appomattox
Fireworks on the Appomattox
Don't miss Hopewell's annual Independence Day Celebration on the Appomattox River! The event is always held on the Saturday before July 4. A dazzling fireworks display will be fired from a barge on the river. The display is best viewed from TriCities Hospital, the Hopewell Riverwalk, the Hopewell City Marina, and City Park. Much of the display will be visible from points in historic downtown Hopewell also.
- TriCities Hospital - The hospital campus will serve as the primary viewing location for the fireworks display. The rear parking area offers an elevated view of the Appomattox River and a breathtaking vantage point for fireworks. Please note that the hospital grounds are completely tobacco-free. Personal firearms are not permitted on TriCities Hospital property. Street parking is available for this viewing location. Eventgoers and local traffic should expect delays in the vicinity of the hospital.
- City Park and Hopewell Riverwalk - City Park and the Hopewell Riverwalk are both great locations for viewing the fireworks display. The Hopewell Riverwalk and fishing pier will close to the public at 7 pm to allow for event preparation. The Riverwalk will reopen for the display. The Riverwalk will be available first-come, first-served to the first 500 people in line. Please follow the signage at the park for the Riverwalk waiting line. The City Park beach will remain open throughout the day. It is requested that no swimming take place after dark. Event parking will be available at City Park and throughout downtown.
- Hopewell City Marina - The Hopewell City Marina is a great location for viewing the display but some vantage points may be obstructed by the State Route 10 bridge. The boat ramp will remain open for use throughout the event. Motorists should expect heavy traffic in the vicinity of the marina.
- The Fireworks display will begin at 9:30 pm on Saturday, July 1, 2023
- The display is free and open to the public
- The display can be viewed best from designated public viewing areas
- Tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, and personal fireworks are prohibited at all public viewing locations
- Due to the nature of the event, pets should be left at home
- Please properly dispose of all trash at the conclusion of the event
- Weapons are not permitted on the campus of TriCities Hospital
- All spectator areas are first-come, first-served
- Handicap parking is available at TriCities Hospital, must provide valid handicap placard or license plate
- General event parking is available on the street in neighborhoods adjacent to the hospital in the vicinity of 2nd, 3d, 4th, 5th, and 6th Avenues
- Please use designated crosswalks when crossing Randolph Road (State Route 10)
- The boat ramp at the Hopewell City Marina will remain open for launching and landing vessels
- Boaters should expect heavy marine traffic in the vicinity of the Hopewell City Marina and the confluence of the James and Appomattox Rivers
- The navigable channel will be closed from 9 to 10 pm during the display; through traffic will not be permitted
- Boaters are required to remain at least 500 feet away from the tug and barge while under power and while anchored
- Marina law enforcement and public safety agencies will be on the water to assist with the display and safety perimeter
- Boaters unfamiliar with this section of river should pay close attention to water depth and be cautious of shallow mud flats